Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why should I buy from Fabric Spot?
There are several reasons why you should buy your fabric and patterns from Fabric Spot.
- We offer a wide range of modern designer fabrics that may be difficult to find in your local quilt shop or from a Canadian online retailer.
- We carry the largest online selection of organic fabrics in Canada.
- We carry a huge in stock inventory of solid fabrics, including organic fabrics.
- Because we are based in Canada, as a Canadian fabric lover and shopper, you will not be charged any extra duties, taxes or handling fees.
- We offer competitive shipping rates and free shipping within Canada with total orders >$100, before taxes. There is free shipping to the U.S.A. with total orders >$150, before taxes.
- Our prices are comparable to American online fabric retailers and in many cases, may be even cheaper.
2. What is a Fat Quarter?
A Fat Quarter is a popular way for quilters to buy fabric. It is a pre-cut piece of fabric that measures approximately 18 x 22 inches. You will see them sold as "Fat Quarter Bundles." That is, a bundle of pre-cut Fat Quarters of coordinating fabrics. This is an easy way to get matching fabrics to create a beautiful project.
A Fat Quarter is made by cutting a yard of fabric into four equal parts. The standard width of a piece of fabric is about 44 inches. Thus, a yard of fabric will be 36 x 44 inches. This yard of fabric is then cut into four equal pieces, each measuring 18 x 22 inches, creating four Fat Quarters. If you cut a quarter of a yard, along the length of the fabric, you would end up with a skinny strip of fabric that is 9 x 44 inches (i.e. length is 1/4 of 36 inches).
The advantages of a Fat Quarter (as opposed to a "Skinny Quarter") are:
- Greater versatility (e.g. for projects requiring pieces larger than 9 inches, applique, prints with directionality)
- For large scale prints, you will get more of the print.
- Because they are often sold in bundles, they're an easy way to create a project with coordinating fabrics and an easy way to add to your stash of fabrics for future projects.
3. When I order a 1/4 yard, will it be cut as a Fat Quarter (18x22 inches) or a "Skinny Quarter" (i.e. a long strip, the width of the fabric, 9x44 inches)?
Great question! When you enter 1/4 yard into the quantity field on the product page, it will be cut as a Fat Quarter unless you email me otherwise. If you would like a "Skinny Quarter" (9x44 inches) then, email me directly and let me know.
4. What is a Charm Pack, a Layer Cake or a Jelly Roll?
A Charm Pack is a pre-cut package of fabric squares, each measuring 5 x 5 inches. They usually contain at least one print of the entire collection. They are an easy and affordable way of getting coordinating prints from the entire collection. As well, 5 x5 inch squares are commonly used in quilting.
A Layer Cake is similar to Charm Packs except that each square is 10 x 10 inches. Typically, a Charm Pack or Layer Cake contains 42 pieces of fabric however, the number may vary.
A Jelly Roll is a sponge cake filled with a jelly or jam....just joking! That is what a Jelly Roll normally refers to but here in the sewing/quilting world, a Jelly Roll is a pre-cut package of fabric strips, each strip measuring 2 1/2 x 44 inches. They usually contain 40 strips but again this number may vary. Also, they typcally contain at least one print of fabric from the entire collection.
There are quilt books with patterns dedicated to creating quilts and other projects based on Charm Packs, Layer Cakes and Jelly Rolls with a little extra yardage thrown in. They are an easy way to whip up a quick quilt.
5. How wide is the fabric you sell?
All fabrics are 44/45 inches in width unless otherwise noted.
6. How is the fabric sold?
Our fabric is sold by the yard. Prices are listed in Canadian dollars.
7. Can I order less than a yard?
Yes, of course you can! Our minimum quantity for a cut of fabric is a 1/4 yard and we sell in 1/4 yard increments. In the "Quantity" field, if you enter in "1/4 yard" this will be cut as a Fat Quarter (see above) unless you tell us otherwise.
8. Do you sell by the bolt?
Yes, we would be happy to sell you a whole bolt of fabric! Please e-mail me directly for price and shipping details.
9. When will my order be shipped to me?
Your order will be processed and packaged in 1-3 business days. An e-mail will be sent to you once your ordered has been shipped.
10. Where are you located?
Fabric Spot is a Canadian online only retail fabric store. We are located in Markham, Ontario which is just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Our mailing address is: A1-20 Apple Creek Boulevard, Suite #129, Markham, Ontario, L3R 5Z1. Unfortunately, due to increased demand, we can no longer offer a pick up option.
11. I like being able to see and touch the fabric first before I buy. Do you have fabric swatches available?
Yes, we do! E-mail me which fabrics you are interested in and I would be happy to send you free fabric swatches by standard letter mail, up to a maximum of 5. After 5 swatches, there is a minimal fee. Contact me for details.
12. I'm having difficulty chosing a co-ordinating fabric. Can you help me?
Yes, of course I can! I would love to! Just e-mail me and I would love to offer any suggestions to help you with your project. Choosing the right solid colour to match can be tricky online and I am here to help!
13. I'm looking for a specific fabric for my project. Are you able to order it for me?
Contact me via e-mail and let me know what fabric you are looking for and I will contact you if I am able to order it for you. Please be specific as to what fabric you are looking for by telling me the Designer, Collection and Print Name or at least a good description of the specific print.
14. I notice that your "Inventory In Stock" is less than the amount I need. Can I get more of this fabric?
If you need more yardage than the "Inventory In Stock" shows, then please e-mail me with the quantity of the particular print that you require and I will try to get it for you. For any solid (e.g Kona, Bella Solid, Free Spirit Designer Solid, etc.), usually I can get some more in for you without any problems. Ask/E-mail and you shall receive (usually)!
15. How do I pay for my order?
We accept payment through your PayPal account or you may use a VISA or Mastercard credit card.